Born in 1963. He graduated from the Department of Film Studies of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow, and later, in 1990, from the Department of Cinematography at the Film School in Łódź. He began his career with directing very successful music videos. The clip This Wasn’t a Film of the Myslovitz band won him the prestigious Fryderyk Polish Music Award. His first TV feature, Malzowina (The Earlobe – 1998), brought him the Special Prize of the Young Jury at the Koszalin film festival and a prize for Art Direction at the 23rd Polish Feature Films Festival in Gdynia.
Wojciech Smarzowski continued working for television, directing TV dramas and series. In 2004 he made a spectacular entree into the world of feature film with his The Wedding (Wesele). Since than he won Polish Film Award “Orly” for Best Director for The Weding, The Dark House, Rose and Hatred.
|2014||The Mighty Angel (Pod Mocnym Aniołem)|
|2013||Traffic Department (Drogówka)
– 2013 Gdynia Ff – Best Editing for Pawel Laskowski
– 2011 Gdynia PFF – Audience Award, Best Actor Award for Marcin Dorocinski
– 2012 Polish Eagle (Orły) Award – Best Film, Best Director for Wojciech Smarzewski, Best Actress in a Leading Role for Agata Kulesza, Best Supporting Role for Jacek Braciak, Best Screenplay for Michal Szczerbiec, Best Sound for Jacek Hamela & Katarzyna Dzida-Hamela
|2009||The Dark House (Dom zły)
– 2009 Gdynia PFF, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Screenplay
– 2009 Warsaw IFF, Audience Award
– 2010 Camerimage – Silver Frog
|2004||The Wedding (Wesele)
– 2005 Karlovy Vary IFF – East of West Award, Special Mention
– 2004 Locarno IFF – Youth Jury Award, Special Mention; Eagle (Orzeł) Polish Film Award – Best Actor For Marian Dziedziel, Best Director, Best Music, Best Screenplay, Best Supporting Role for Iwona Bielska
– 2004 Warsaw IFF – Best Screenplay for Wojtek Smarzowski
– 2004 Gdynia PFF – Best Actor Award for Marian Dziedziel, Critics Award, Special Jury Prize